I seem to have a routine for #BEDM. I have a blog post idea and then getting distracted all day by other things.
Today’s topic for the #BEDM challenge was to blog your weekend morning routine. As fun as me describing what shampoo I’m currently using sounds I don’t want to give away the secret to my luscious locks…. I figured I would stick to the routines idea because it’s actually something I love reading about in a creative context.
Heres a little insight into my design process.
- It starts with inspiration (its spring so I’m inspired by flowers at the moment)
- Next I turn to good old pinterest for research on current trends, colour palettes and customer research.
- During the research phase I draw a lot and explore different mediums and attempt different styles of illustration.
- I start bringing things together and forming composition ideas. I used to do a lot of photocopying during this stage, but now I do most of my composing digitally.
- At this stage I may have a few patterns already, but I carry on drawing anyway.
- When I’ve got a collection that I’m happy with I create the same pattern in different colours. These are called colour ways.
- Being happy with everything I’ve created. I then create visualisations, like the one below, to show people what my patterns would look like on real products.